Thursday, March 27, 2008

I know she's drowning in boys and a lot of hipster noise

Lately, I've been visiting the local library system on-line. While I track down books to hoard and the few I will actually read, I also put dvd's on hold. These are the titles that I wouldn't waste netflix queue space on. Movies that are most likely running on the cable channels ( I don't subscribe to any). HBO, Showtime and the others. Nothing wrong with them but I've found they are only worth it for the original series programing. (which I wait for on DVD) The movie movies are crap. Aren't they? Films I've already seen in the theater or don't care to see anyway. But since T.V. hasn't come back into full swing I've been getting a couple every week.
For instance: De jevu, Shooter, The Painted Veil, Rescue Dawn, 3:10 to Yuma, The Guardian,
some of them aren't all that bad. Esp one.....called Travellers and Magicians http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378906/. This is a Very good ZEN film. Written and Directed by a Buddhist monk. SEE THIS. It's peaceful and beautifully shot. I can't recommend this one enough.

Back to speaking of T.V. I don't even watch LIVE television anymore. I DVR every show I end up watching. (no commercials that way) You get so used to that and start going crazy watching a show in real time and having to sit through the commercials. They make me edgy and nervous now. Who can watch for the full 3o minutes or hour?. I am not willing to do that for most shows, save for maybe THE OFFICE. (Back April 10Th) Come back to me already. I miss Pam.

I finished reading INTO THE WILD. If you've only seen the movie, I suggest you READ the book. Small but much more informative. It didn't change my mind on how the movie made me feel though. McCandless comes across just as selfish and foolish in the book. I will say for the most part he did stick with his beliefs. Although he did end up getting jobs when he needed money, and did really hurt people who became close to him ( in the book he totally destroys the old man who he befriends him). I just have the same feeling after reading the book as I did after watching the movie. I just wanted to be sure. If there is research or more sources about something I have feelings over I MUST seek it out. Overall, I guess the message of taking in your surroundings and the beauty in nature is relevant over most of our consumerism and capitalist ways. I am on the other side of the spectrum. I seriously believe I can somehow manage being both a consumer whore and still truly appreciate the nature and natural order of things. Taking in the offerings of the universe while amidst the chaos of everyday hustle and bustle. To be still inside the storm. To stay in the Center. My own adventures are only small vacations, and going to local parks. My adventures have been Internet adventures, relatively safe. I admire Him for getting out in the world. Doing what he thought was the best path to achieve oneness. It's true you don't get the same view from a hotel room than from say...a tent. But don't forget most of the authors that inspired Mcandless' views and beliefs , setting him on his path, were NOT living it. They were fictional books and if you did research like on author Jack London(considered his favorite) "I write for no other purpose than to add to the beauty that now belongs to me. I write a book for no other reason than to add three or four hundred acres to my magnificent estate." you find London only spent one winter up north his entire life, lightly plagiarized most of his famous writings, and may or may not have committed suicide. Now, check out this transition from the mention of suicide: I watched Wristcutters: A love story. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477139/ I've had it in my Queue for over a year. Based on the fact I looked up Shannyn Sossamon an actress I fancy. I saw she was in it and I added it to my list. Now Shannyn isn't the greatest actress of our time or anything , but I do find her look and style smashing on screen. She is like the American version of Faye Wong ttp://www.myspace.com/fayewong. ( ChungKing Express, 2046). So last year I read the graphic novel Pizzeria Kamikaze based on a Etgar Keret short story (Kneller's Happy Campers) Read it!!!. Then found out this was the movie based on both. Cool. It's a black comedy about an afterlife world where people who have committed suicide live. Interesting concept, It's also about heart-break and a love story too. Tom Waits is in it. What more do you need!. It's as entertaining as the stories. Not as quotable, or as narrative, as the story though. It's worth a viewing but take your time, I wouldn't kill myself over it. Haha. Yeah.

Her:If we fuck I'm gonna feel like shit tomorrow. Him: that's okay with me. --from Hotel Chevalier.

Also watched Darjeeling Limited, of course if you are a Wes Anderson fan, like me , you've seen it already and if not. DO so. Or don't. Okay Sweet lime?

"I promise, I will never be your friend, no matter what, ever"

No comments: