Thursday, June 3, 2010

Silver in the Blood: Joshua Murray - Sculptor\Wax\Silver\Custom Jewelry


Here's the story: One day I was looking for photos of silver skull rings on deviantart, I'm a huge fan of Custom made silver.. skulls, eagles, anchors, lightning bolts, sugar skulls, saints, virgin marys, etc.
It's ART you can wear. Anyway, I'm thankful for stumbling upon the work of Joshua Murray. Since then, I've coveted pretty much everything his mind has imagined to create. His jewelry is sick and I can't wait to adorn one his quality custom pieces. I know little to zero about how one would make such fine things. i mean, from idea, to sculpted wax, to finished silver work of art. I wanted to know more about the art and the artist. So from Los Angeles.. im happy to present - JOSH MURRAY


Good Winter: How did you get into making silver jewelery? Did you go to art school? where did you learn to sculpt wax?
Josh Murray: I do not have any formal training, I started working as a freelance sculptor when I was a teenager and have been at it for the last 15 years. I got into the silver racket about 6 years ago, partly because I started using wax as a sculpting medium and wax and metal casting go together hand and hand.


GW: Do you remember your first attempt at carving wax to mold to silver? what was it and how did it go?
JM: It was a ring with a pirate skull carved into it. Either the investment plaster was mixed poorly or the centrifugal casing machine was wound too tight but the liquid metal shot right through the mold and almost took my face off. It was awesome. I still have the casting, you can see a photo of it here [link]

GW: 4 favorite places?
JM: Madora North Dakota, Tokyo Japan, Clearwater Beach Florida, The Yangtze river in China.




GW: What is currently on your music playlist?
JM: The Didjits, Alice Cooper, Nina Samone, The Violent Femmes, Tom Waits, The Supersuckers.




GW: most prized possession?
JM: I guess if my studio was on fire and i could only take one thing with me, it would be my Grandfathers dog tags.



GW: what are some of your past Halloween costumes?
JM: Batman, C3PO, and a shit load of zombies.

GW: 4 things that you collect?
JM: Tools, Artwork, music, jackalopes.



GW: whats your secret?
JM: A little music, some math, a bit of whiskey, and an ass load of patience.

flintlocksilver.com - flintlockprivateer(deviantart)

2 comments:

Gau Con ( ¯`·.º-:¦:-º.·´¯)Meo Con said...

how can you do that ? can you teach me!

Anonymous said...

I have one of his rings. Knowing that he is into Tom Waits makes it just a little bit cooler.